Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Truth and Lying

[Taken from Gems and Jewels page 26 - Dar Us Salam Publications]

Allaah (the exalted) says in the noble Qu’ran about the basic qualities of the believer:
“O you who believe” Why do you say that which you do not do? Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do” (Qu’ran) 61:2,3)

The Prophet (salallalahu alayhi wassalaam) was asked, “Can a believer be a miser?” He said, ‘Yes.” He was asked, “Can a believer be a coward?” He said, “Yes.” And he was asked, “And can a believer be A LIAR?” He said, “NO.”

It has been related that a man went to Allah’s Messenger and said, “O Messenger of Allah, indeed I do three sins in secret: (I drink) alcohol, fornication and lying. So inform me which of them should I abandon?.” He said, “LEAVE OF LYING.” The man went away, and later desired to fornicate, but he thought to himself, “I will go to the Messenger of Allaah and he will ask me whether I fornicated? If I say yes, he will punish me. And if I say no, I will have broken the covenant and lied.” So he abstained from fornicating , and the same occured regarding alcohol. He returned to Allaah’s Messenger and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, indeed I have abandoned all of them.”

My brother, you do not see then, that LYING is the root of every wicked deed, and it leads to all other sins. You will not see anyone more miserable and wretched than the liar, and disbelief is the most severe kind of lying, for it is lying upon Allaah (the Exalted).